Kitchen accessories are far more important than most people realize, especially if you’re the person who always cooks for the family. One of the best accessories to have at your disposal is the best cutting board as it gives you the ability to prepare a wide variety of ingredients without damaging your countertop.
With that being said, not every cutting board is created equally, which is why it can be quite challenging to find the best that best suits your needs and preferences. Here, we will feature five of the best ones we found that you might also want to add to your kitchen.
Top 5 Best Cutting Board Comparisons Chart
Best Cutting Board Reviews
1. OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board
If you’ve looked at tools for your kitchen in the past, you’ve undoubtedly heard of OXO Good Grips. This brand is especially known for their convenient kitchen accessories. The OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board is no different, as it’s designed to be easy to use for a wide variety of kitchen tasks.
The main features of the OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board include:
- Above average size: When compared to other cutting boards that are traditionally smaller, you’ll appreciate having one that measures in at approximately 10 by 14 inches. This helps you to prepare anything from julienned vegetables to a slab of meat.
- Durable polypropylene construction: Compared to other materials, such as wood, you might be preferable to polypropylene for your cutting boards as it offers an odor-resistant and nonporous surface. This also helps to make it much easier to clean and sanitize your workspace without worrying about meat juices seeping into the material.
- Comfortable carry handles: In the event that you need to carry a board full of ingredients to a pot or pan, you’ll surely appreciate the soft and tapered handles on the sides of this cutting board. These handles will help prevent slippage and make the board easier to carry.
- Integrated juice groove: In order to help avoid spillage when working with juicy meats, the juice groove helps to collect any excess fluids, thus making cleanup even easier.
What’s to like about the OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board
If you’ve had issues working with wood cutting boards in the past, this is the perfect alternative as it’s much easier to clean, especially as it is entirely safe to toss in the dishwasher.
Aside from that, you’ll also appreciate the small feet on the bottom, which help to keep it off your counter. Another feature of the OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board that is sure to impress is how resilient it is, as it barely shows any signs of wear after aggressive cutting.
What’s not to like about the OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board
The main issue that we have with the OXO Good Grips Utility Cutting Board is the fact that if juice finds its way under the small feet of the board, it will begin to slip around. This will make it nearly impossible for it to grip to the countertop.
In addition to that, we also find that the juice grooves are a little too shallow to catch a lot of juices, such as if you were to carve a turkey on it.
- Impressive cutting resilience
- Very easy to keep clean
- Does not show signs of mold or mildew
- Rubberized feet don’t keep the board steady
- Juice grooves aren’t deep enough
2. Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board
Bamboo cutting boards have a certain appeal that is unlike traditional polypropylene boards. They also have their own array of benefits, especially the fact that they are one of those kitchen tools that you can either use yourself or gift to a friend or family member.
The Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board is no exception to this. In fact, below, we have listed the reasons why this cutting board might be the one you are looking for.
Our favorite features of the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board include:
- Extra large surface area: Compared to most other cutting boards on the market, this design is far larger with a size of 18 by 12 inches. This gives you more than enough space for several ingredients at once.
- Multi-purpose: With its aesthetically pleasing design, you can easily use the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board not only as a cutting board but also as a serving tray. We also love using it as a cheese board around the holidays.
- Professional grade: With other cutting boards, you have to deal with the appearance of knife marks, especially over time. However, this professional-grade cutting board won’t show too many marks, and it’s also knife-friendly, which means that it helps to preserve the integrity of your knives.
- Built-in juice groove: As an added feature to help make cleanup easier, the built-in juice groove helps to collect fluids from the ingredients you’re working with. As a result, the juices won’t spill over to your counter.
What’s to like about the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board
The first thing you’re sure to notice about this cutting board is its flat and seamless surface. Thanks to this feature, this cutting board is incredibly simple to clean, especially as bamboo has natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
Also, after being put to the test, it was also found that the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board works great with sharp knives, especially when compared to traditional plastic boards. Another important benefit is that the juice grooves seem to be deep enough to catch a lot of juice from fruits and vegetables.
What’s not to like about the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board
Our biggest concern with the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board is that it cannot be put in the dishwasher, as you’ll be at risk for splintering and waterlogging. You might also find that you’ll need to regularly oil the board in order to keep it in the best condition possible, as it will dry out quickly.
- Smooth and knife-friendly surface
- Looks great on the countertop
- Easy to use as a cutting board or serving tray
- Dries out quickly
- Splinters when in the dishwasher
- Grooves aren’t deep enough for meat
3. Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set
If you’re someone who likes to get the most for their money, then the Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set is a great option. This set not only comes with the main cutting board but two smaller ones as well. Constructed out of heavy-duty plastic, you’ll have three resilient pieces to use on a daily basis.
The main features and your soon-to-be favorite characteristics of the Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set include:
- Three cutting boards in one: By far, the largest selling point of the Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set is the fact that you get three cutting boards in the same package. This includes a large (16 by 11 inches), medium (13 by nine inches), and small (11 by eight inches) board.
- Dishwasher-safe and BPA-free: Not only will you have the ability to throw your cutting boards directly into the dishwasher after you’re finished with them, but they are also made out of BPA-free materials, helping to make your dinners even safer.
- Maintenance-free: Compared to bamboo cutting boards where you’ll have to watch for splinters and oil the wood to keep it in its pristine condition, these heavy-duty plastic cutting boards are entirely maintenance-free.
What’s to like about the Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set
We found that in comparison to rougher plastic, this plastic is still relatively safe on our knives. The cutting boards are also thick and sturdy, and you won’t have to worry about too much staining. In the event that juice is to seep in, cleaning it with vinegar is simple.
Aside from those two major benefits, these cutting boards operate similarly to the traditional ones in that they make it easier to prepare a wide variety of ingredients.
What’s not to like about the Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set
The main problem with the Gorilla Grip Reversible Cutting Board Set is the fact that it’s not as non-slip as it advertises. In fact, we think the non-slip grip might be put on backward because once you flip the boards over, they stay in place.
In order to make the most out of the juice grooves, you’re going to have to hold the board in place to make sure that it doesn’t slide across your counter.
- Three boards in one
- Simple to keep clean
- Easy on knives
- Slips easily
- Will need to be held steady
4. HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set
As another group of cutting boards, the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set comes with three different models for you to easily use to your advantage. Designed similarly to most other cutting boards, there are plenty of advantages you’re sure to enjoy with all three sizes.
The most impressive features of the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set include:
- BPA-free: As a regulation that needs to be followed with U.S.A.-sold products, this set of cutting boards is entirely BPA-free, thus giving you a safer surface to work with when preparing meals for yourself and your family.
- Built-in juice grooves and handles: Not only does the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set offer built-in juice grooves (as most cutting boards do), but it also offers larger sections near the handles where juice can build up and easily be poured out.
- Easy to keep clean: As the high-quality plastics used to create these cutting boards are non-porous and incredibly strong, they are easier to keep clean with the help of your dishwasher.
- Chop, scrape, and dice construction: The HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set has been put to the test, and you can bet that cutting, dicing, and scraping won’t wear away at the plastic. This helps to preserve the integrity of the cutting boards and your knives.
What’s to like about the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set
The first thing we noticed with the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set is the fact that it doesn’t absorb smells like other plastic cutting boards or bamboo boards do. This makes it ideal to use with onions and garlic.
Aside from that, you’ll also immediately realize that these boards don’t stain easily, which is perfect for such a light colored cutting surface. Nevertheless, it’s still recommended that if you’re working with materials that might stain, you wash the cutting board as soon as you’re finished.
As an added bonus, in comparison to other boards on this list, the non-slip grooves on these boards are perfect for keeping your cutting board in place.
What’s not to like about the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set
The one thing that you might find inconvenient is that the size of the cutting boards is far inferior to others on the market. This means that this set isn’t ideal for someone working with meats or other large ingredients.
In addition, it’s also important that you don’t store the HOMWE Kitchen Cutting Board Set near a heat source. This is because the plastic is prone to warping when exposed to high temperatures.
- Non-slip edges work well
- Safe for knives
- Doesn’t stain or show knife marks
- Warps when exposed to too much heat
- Sizes are smaller than expected
5. Fred & Friends The Obsessive Chef Bamboo Cutting Board
At first glance, you’ll realize that Fred & Friends The Obsessive Chef Bamboo Cutting Board is designed differently than any other cutting board you’ve likely seen. This is especially true if you’re not a professional chef or a chef-in-training.
Nevertheless, it’s clear to see that its useful design can help you to master plenty of aspects of preparing meals.
The most interesting features of the Fred & Friends The Obsessive Chef Bamboo Cutting Board include:
- Burnished prep guides: There are plenty of different guidelines burnished into the board (instead of printed) to help you master plenty of techniques including julienne, brunoise, medium dice, allumette, and even fine julienne.
- Environmentally sustainable bamboo: There’s nothing more comfortable than knowing you’re looking out for the environment when you buy items for your home, especially wood items. This cutting board is constructed out of 100% environmentally sustainable bamboo, which improves its natural quality and gives back to the planet.
- Average cutting board size: The Fred & Friends The Obsessive Chef Bamboo Cutting Board isn’t as large as some other cutting boards on this list, as it comes in at nine inches by 12 inches. However, it’s more than large enough to provide space for plenty of ingredients.
What’s to like about the Fred & Friends The Obsessive Chef Bamboo Cutting Board
Even if you’re not the type of person who ever pursued culinary arts, you’ll appreciate the uniqueness of this cutting board, especially since its interesting design can help you to perfect your techniques.
What’s more is that you’ll also love how the lines are burned into the wood compared to being printed. This helps to maintain their integrity with regular washes and won’t fade away after being exposed to acidic juices.
What’s not to like about the Fred & Friends The Obsessive Chef Bamboo Cutting Board
If you’re left-handed, you’ll find that the burnished lines on this cutting board will be relatively useless, as it’s designed for right-handed persons only. However, there could be a left-handed model on the near horizon.
We also found that the inconvenience of not being able to put a bamboo cutting board in the dishwasher added time to clean up, which could be better spent with dinner guests. With that being said, our largest issue with this cutting board is that it splintered after a couple of uses, which essentially renders it useless.
- Sits sturdily on your counter
- Burnished lines last forever
- Prep lines are useful
- Splinters easily
- Cannot be put in the dishwasher
- May be prone to warping
The idea of buying a cutting board might seem simple enough, but choosing a generic model off of the shelf is why you find yourself always looking for new ones. There are a few important things to take into consideration when shopping for cutting boards and we’ve outlined the key features to keep an eye out for.
Different Types of Cutting Board
The first thing you need to consider is the type of cutting board you want to get your hands on, as there are five main styles to choose from.
Traditional Bamboo or Plastic Cutting Boards
First, you have the traditional cutting board which is designed for multi-versatile use and are typically made out of bamboo or plastic.
Wooden Carving Boards
Second, you have carving boards. These are designed for working with cooked meats and are typically constructed out of wood.
Breadboards can also be convenient to have in your kitchen, as they make it easier to cut entire loaves of bread without destroying your counter and making a mess.
There are also butcher blocks, which are typically thicker than a generic cutting board and are required for deboning or chopping meat. You may also want to consider a butcher block if you’re looking for a cutting board that will stand strong against professional knives.
Finally, there are flexible mats, which are designed for chopping ingredients that need to be put in a pot. The fact that this mat can be rolled or twisted into a particular shape makes it easier to transfer the chopped ingredients from the board to the pot.
Various Cutting Board Sizes
Cutting board size is another important feature to consider as it will determine how many ingredients you can work with at once. There’s nothing more frustrating than getting into the swing of preparing your meal only to have to stop to throw ingredients into a pot or pan.
If you’re someone who typically works with smaller batches, you can opt for a 10-by-12-inch cutting board. However, if you’re working with meats, you might want to find something a little bit larger.
You’re also going to want to take size into account when it comes to storage, as a cutting board that is larger than your cabinets will have to be left out on your counter.
Cutting Board Materials in Making
There are plenty of specific materials that are used when making cutting boards, but in general, they are either wood or a type of plastic. Wooden cutting boards have a certain aesthetic appeal and are typically useful when it comes to protecting the integrity and sharpness of your knives.
On the other hand, plastic cutting boards are improving over the years. What we love the most about plastic boards is that they are easily disinfected and can typically be thrown in the dishwasher, not to mention they don’t require any maintenance.
Cutting Boards Functionality
There are plenty of different functions for cutting boards, especially in terms of preparing and serving your meals. A regular cutting board can be used to julienne vegetables, or it can be used to serve meat once it has been carved.
Alternatively, you can also use a cutting board as a display shelf for all of the other fixtures you have in your kitchen. These functionalities make them one of the most versatile kitchen accessories you can own.
Cutting Boards Versatility
As mentioned, cutting boards are incredibly versatile and offer plenty of advantages to their owner. You can use a flexible mat for chopping or slicing a variety of ingredients, or a butcher’s block for preparing a loaf of bread.
As long as you are able to find the right cutting board for your needs, the options are endless.
Cutting Board FAQs
What is cutting board?
The simplest way to answer what is it exactly is to think about all of the tasks that it can handle. They are thick sheets of material designed to be resilient against chopping, slicing, and dicing a wide variety of ingredients.
They are usually used on a countertop to help protect the counter from excessive damage while preparing meals.
What is a cutting board made of?
Cutting boards can be made of plenty of materials ranging from bamboo to polypropylene. Each material has its assortment of advantages and disadvantages over the next.
For example, a polypropylene cutting board will be BPA-free and can be thrown in the dishwasher when it’s time for cleanup.
On the other hand, a wooden cutting board needs to be oiled and maintained. It is also far safer to use with professional knives, will show fewer signs of wear and tear, and so aesthetically pleasing that it can also be used as a serving tray.
How to clean a wooden cutting board?
When it comes to cleaning a wooden cutting board, the main things to remember are staining and disinfecting.
We recommend creating a blend of cleaner that combines warm water and vinegar. This will help to remove stains with ease and still get rid of any bacteria that might be lingering on the surface.
To use this, you would want to spray the solution on the surface of the cutting board and wipe it away with a warm cloth. After this, you will need to make sure that you gently oil the board after cleaning it as vinegar is an astringent.
How to care for bamboo cutting boards?
The main thing to remember when it comes to taking care of a bamboo cutting board is that it needs to be regularly oiled in order to prevent splintering, cracking, and warping. You can take a gentle cloth with a little bit of mineral oil and lightly rub it into the wood, helping to keep it hydrated.
In addition to that, you will also want to avoid putting a bamboo cutting board in the dishwasher. This will waterlog the wood and cause it to swell, warp, and splinter.
Our Final Recommendation
So, which is the best cutting board for you? Out of the five top-tier models we’ve found, the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board is our favorite. Why?
Not only does it look better than the other plastic cutting boards, but it gives you a safe and reliable surface to work with.
You won’t have to worry about warping, as long as you keep the cutting board away from constant heat. This board is also specifically designed to be resilient against knife marks, all while not damaging your knives too.
The only concern with the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board is that it cannot be put in the dishwasher, but this is common with most other wood cutting boards on the market.
No matter if you’re looking for a gift for a family member or a new cutting board for your home, the Royal Craft Wood Bamboo Cutting Board is by far the most beautiful and durable board currently on the market right now.
Don’t forget to also read our article on the “Best Cutting Board for Meat of 2020: Complete Reviews with Comparisons“.