One of the major drawbacks to using your grill is that there’s always going to be leftover residue on the grates. Even when using tinfoil, there’s bound to be one or two spills, if not, some dirt may find its way in when it’s not in use. Thus, no matter what you do, there’s going to come a time when you need to clean your BBQ grill.
One of the more interesting methods that are more accessible than you think is to clean BBQ grill with coke.
That is why we will show you exactly how you can replicate this process and have your grill grates looking as if they were brand new.
Why Use Coke?
Coca-cola has been known to be an effective method for cleaning off metal appliances. We’ve all seen the video of individuals cleaning pennies or other small trinkets by leaving the object in coca cola for an extended period. The same method can be applied to your grill grates.
While it may seem like you’d need a lot of soda to get the job done, that’s not always the case. Instead, you can use a bottle or two to clean your entire grill. But why consider using coke? Well, it’s an inexpensive method to effectively cleaning your grates and restoring them to their former glory before you used them.
What Can Coca-Cola Do?
Coca-Cola has been an effective cleaning method for not only pennies and grills, but also for other home use purposes. The first home use is using coca cola to clean stains in either your shower or toilet bowl. The second is to remove rust from chrome on vehicles or motorcycles. The last form is using it to dissipate grease in clothing or other objects. All three of these properties are excellent for cleaning your grill.
Why Is Coca-Cola a Better Option Than Cleaners?
If we look at the science behind why coke is a cleaning product, it is similar to other cleaning solutions because the properties are the same. It features a low pH level, which is identical to other cleaners on the market. The pH level is at a 3.4, which means that the drink itself is very acidic, making it perfect for cleaning your grill.
Next, the carbonated property combined with the pH level allows it to destroy metal oxides and other debris from copper, brass, and metals. As long as your grill is made from these materials, then the coke will work on it. However, if your grill is made from stainless steel, there may be different options.
Thirdly, coke is a mixture of citric acid, phosphoric acid, and carbonic acid which all work to remove stains, break down rust, and dissolve limestone and other mineral build ups on your grill grates. This makes it an efficient method for getting the long-term debris off your grates.
How to Clean BBQ Grill with Coke?
Let us demonstrate to you the exact process you need to take to clean your grill with coke. Here are the steps:
- Prep the surface by removing as much dirt, food, and debris as you can. Use a damp cloth for this and attempt to get off as much as you can.
- Take the grates off your grill and put them aside.
- Use a bucket and pour some coke into it, ensuring that there’s enough for the grates to be fully submerged.
- Soak the grates for at least a few minutes, if not longer before taking them out and rinsing them.
- Take a clean, damp cloth and dip it into the coke and apply it to any areas on your grill that you’d like to clean.
- Allow the coke to sit on the surface, as this will help break down any grease or rust found in or around the grill.
- After some time, at least a minimum of 10 minutes, go ahead and rinse of a section of the grill.
- If you feel like the grill needs to be soaked longer, go ahead and let it sit for up to a few hours.
- Once done, rinse all the coke off using warm water and scrub it down using a clean, damp cloth to ensure that it worked. If it has, you’ll see grease, rust, and other debris come off the surface of the grill as you scrub.
Cleaning your grill with coke is a simple process which is not only practical but also inexpensive. While you could spend hours scrubbing your grill from top to bottom, you could quickly just be soaking the parts in coke and relaxing while the mixture goes to work. Other cleaning solutions for grills are expensive, and some only do a lackluster job. By using coke, you’re saving yourself time, money, and energy. The grill will come out looking perfect and in some cases can even be restored to how they looked when you first purchased them. Hopefully, you’ve learned how to clean BBQ Grill with Coke.